Can I Claim?

One of the first questions we are asked is “Can I claim criminal injuries compensation?” There are a number of steps to take before you can claim criminal injuries compensation.

What you should do if you’re the victim of a violent crime?

  • Ensure that you obtain any medical assistance you require before doing anything else, for example from your local hospital, GP or Dentist.
  • As soon as you able, and preferably immediately, report the crime to the Police and obtain a Crime Reference Number. This is of paramount importance as the Crime Reference Number will be required for the application to proceed.
  • Obtain the names and addresses of any witnesses who saw the incident, if possible.

Can I claim criminal injuries compensation?

The quickest way to find out for sure is to contact us immediately and speak to one of our fully qualified solicitors. However, three questions to ask are:

  • were your injuries sustained as a result of a violent crime?
  • were your injuries suffered within the last two years? Although there is a time limit of two years for CICA claims, in certain circumstances, successful claims can be made for incidents experienced longer ago than this.
  • was the incident reported to the Police shortly after it happened or, if not, was there a reasonable explanation for the delay for this?

Can I claim criminal injuries compensation?

If the answer to the above points is “Yes”. Fill out the form below and we’ll be in touch with you shortly.


Want to claim? - Fill out the form below.

We will then contact you to take the next step in processing your compensation claim.

  • Enter this code in the box below